Lenovo & Microsoft team up to make Cortana even smarter on Windows 10
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) and Microsoft today at Lenovo Tech World announced a collaboration to transform the way people find their content in a new, more personal way with Cortana and REACHit. Lenovo announced and demonstrated these technologies to thousands of fans, media, partners and suppliers during the keynote address at Tech World. Lenovo REACHit extends the search capabilities of Cortana for Windows 10 devices with REACHit’s ability to search for content across any connected Lenovo PC or tablet device running Windows 10 and many major cloud services. This deep, exclusive platform integration gives Cortana a much larger inventory of information to search, opening up an entirely new level of contextual search and giving users the most comprehensive, seamless and natural way to find their personal digital content.
The Power to Search
Cortana is the personal digital assistant available across Windows 10 PCs, tablets and phones that allows users to talk or type naturally to get things done. Cortana and REACHit extends the sources from which content can be found. Using a unique user-assigned Lenovo ID, Cortana and REACHit together access data about the content to retrieve a wide variety of a user’s personal content – whether its photos, video, files or emails. Lenovo REACHit reaches across the user’s personal cloud services and their connected Lenovo Windows 10 PCs and tablets to find the content.
For example, a user wants to find a photo hat she edited on her Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon laptop last week. Now she can access it while she’s away from her laptop at the coffee shop by using her Lenovo ThinkPad 10 tablet. She no longer needs to go home and work on the laptop. And by using Cortana and REACHit, she doesn’t even have to remember the name of the photo file – just the location where she edited it, or the date or another piece of relevant information. For example, she could search by saying: “Cortana, find the picture I edited last week on my ThinkPad X1 Carbon.” Or “Cortana, find the picture I worked on at Starbucks last week.”
Cortana and REACHit search her personal cloud accounts including services beyond Microsoft and Windows like Google Drive, DropBox and Box. Without REACHit, users can only look for files on their device they are currently using and OneDrive. REACHit makes Cortana even smarter.
It’ll also allow Cortana to help you find your files in all the major cloud services too. Beyond just OneDrive you’ll be able to find things in Box, DropBox, even Google Drive as well as a whole bunch of different email services.
Here’s a list of the key features:
- Allows users to search for photos, videos, documents and music across devices, including Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, PCs and tablets
- Gives users the ability to add location to searches, cross-referencing the file event with the location data to produce the most relevant results
- Cortana and REACHit works on Lenovo PCs and tablets running Windows 10.
- Since Lenovo and Microsoft collaborated on this project, this results in a seamless, enhanced Cortana search experience
- A single place to search for your content, whatever it is and wherever it may be
- Support for cloud storage providers like OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, and Box
- Support for email services like Gmail, Exchange, and IMAP
- Support for calendar services* like Exchange, , and Google Calendar
- Support for search across multiple Windows 10 devices
- The most natural search – express your search as you would normally speak it, based on what you can remember
- Contextual awareness enables you to search in ways you never thought possible