Hauppauge HD PVR Gaming Edition Review & Giveaway
The Hauppauge HD PVR Gaming edition is the first digital video capture recorder for the Xbox 360a and PS3. In this review, we will be looking at the model 1445 HD PVR from Hauppauge – how easy is it to set up, and how good is the recording and editing software. Included in the packaging for the HD PVR Gaming Edition is a jet black case plus a universal Component Video cable, so you can bring 1080i video from your game console (Xbox 360 & PS3) into the HD PVR. Also included is the Arcsoft ShowBiz, which allows you to record your game play in HD and upload directly to YouTube or burn to DVD if you like. HD PVR’s video pass-through gives zero delay on your TV monitor, and makes HD video recordings at the same time! Video pass-through uses the component video input to record your game play in HD while the “no delay” component video output allows you to play your games on your TV set. The Hauppauge HD PVR records in MP4, M2TS and AVCHD formats. The AVCHD format can be used to burn Blu-ray compatible discs.
The Hauppauge has a simple setup process that uses component Pass-through cables for the Xbox 360 and PS3 as seen in diagram below.
The Hauppauge HD PVR is a great tool for gamers and game reviewers alike. It’s easy to set up, the packaged record and editing software is a breeze to use, and it is compatible with both the Xbox 360 and PS3. My only gripe would be the passthrough cables are component and not HDMI, which limits you to recording at 1080i. Still you get a piece of hardware and software that allows you to record your gaming experience with ease and gives you the ability to share that with the world.
Hauppauge HD PVR Gaming Edition Giveaway
Subscribe to Booredatwork on YouTube
Leave a comment on how you will use the Hauppauge HD PVR Gaming Edition to showcase you Gameplay. You are entered to win.
Winner will be announced on April 28th in our “What you missed this week” video.
Thanks for entering!
HD PVR Gaming Edition Specifications
- Hardware encoder
- H.264 AVCHD video encoder
- AC-3 audio encoding
- Recording datarate: from 1 to 13.5 Mbits/sec (user selectable)
- Recording format:
- up to 1080i from component video (YCrCb or YPrPb)
- NTSC: 720p60, 1080i60, 480i60, 480p60
- PAL: 720p50, 1080i50, 576p50, 576i50, 480p50, 480i50
Note: the video input format determines the recorded format. For example, 1080i input records at 1080i, 720P records at 720P, etc. Any other format conversions needs to be done with the MediaConvert program (supplied).
- NTSC or PAL supported
- 19.8cm wide x 17.3 cm deep x 7 cm high
- 5V at 2 amps
- Input voltage of power supply provided: 110-220v at 50/60Hz
- 1 lb, 3 oz
Included with the HD PVR Gaming Edition
- HD PVR high definition personal video recorder, USB
- Component Video Cable set, for use with Xbox360, PS3 and Wii
- Component video cable set to connect to your HD TV set
- Stereo audio cable set
- HD PVR Gaming Edition Installation CD with Arcsoft ShowBiz
- USB cable
- 5v power supply, 110/220v
Bundled software applications
- Arcsoft “ShowBiz” to record, upload to YouTube and burn video recordings onto DVD
Input and outputs
- Component video input
- Component video out (“passthrough”)
- Left/ Right RCA audio input
- Left/right audio output (“passthrough”)
- Optical audio Input
- Optical audio output (“passthrough”)
- Composite video and S-Video inputs (on front panel)
- Left/right audio input (on front panel)
- USB2.0 High speed Device