Asus Padfone X Review [AT&T]
The Asus Padfone X is an interesting device, one that aims at cutting the consumer cost of having both a Smartphone Tablet for the same price as a smartphone. Exclusive to AT&T in the US, the Padfone X retails for $199 under contract or for $22.92 per month with AT&T Next 18 or $29.80 per month with AT&T Next 12. which is relatively inexpensive for what you are getting. So the PadFone X is a 5-inch full HD Android 4.4 (KitKat) smartphone that docks into the included PadFone Station to transform into a 9-inch full HD( more like a 7-inch Tablet but get to that later) tablet-like experience, allowing you to select the optimal display experience at any time. The idea is simple and quite easy to execute with with the 5-inch smartphone house all the powerful guts of a Snapdragon 800 processor, 13MP camera, 2 GB ram, running Android 4.4.2. While the 9-inch tablet- which actually is a 7-inch display due to its massive bezel, is just a shell to house the smartphone guts. Surprising it works very well and the best part about it is that you get no slow downs in performance or use. I really like how snappy the device was in both smartphone and tablet use. Which generally was an easy experience for me over.
My gripe with the device is more of its aesthetics, which really doesn’t help showcase how awesome this device really is, the thick bezel on both the smartphone and Tablet make it look like a device from 20110. Plus once you have the device docked into the tablet, it weighs quite a bit and feel cumbersome. Still the device is fun and easy to use and one I can recommend for someone who is looking to have both a tablet and phone without spending a fortune. Hopefully Asus makes improvements to the next version of the Padfone X.
Key Device Features:
- 5-inch full HD Android 4.4 (KitKat) smartphone that docks into the included PadFone Station to transform into a 9-inch full HD tablet
- Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800 2.3GHz quad-core CPU
- 16GB of on-board storage and a Micro SD slot supporting up to 64GB of additional storage
- Dual front speakers, which includes ASUS SonicMaster technology to deliver a full and immersive audio experience
- 13 megapixel, f/2.0 aperture PixelMaster camera
- Turbo Burst Mode makes it easier to seize that perfect moment by enabling the camera to capture photos at up to 35 frames per second.
- Power Matters Alliance (PMA) wireless charging