New Super Mario Bros U Gameplay Hands-on
New Super Mario Bros. U is a new, side-scrolling adventure featuring Mario, Luigi,
Toad … and your Mii character. Now’s your chance to step inside the Mushroom Kingdom and explore new worlds, new power-ups and new ways to play. Up to five players* can jump into the fun, with up to four people using Wii Remote controllers and one on the Wii U GamePad. The experience is different, depending on which controller is used.
• The Wii U GamePad controller offers a new way to experience multiplayer Mario fun. Create
Boost Blocks out of thin air to help players navigate tricky stages or access hidden or hard-to-reach items, and distract onscreen enemies, all with the tap of their finger or stylus.
• Swoop through levels and cling to walls when Mario transforms into Flying Squirrel Mario, or
gently float through the air while hanging onto Balloon Baby Yoshi.
• Boost Mode also makes cooperative speed runs possible for the first time. Use the GamePad to
interact with and manipulate enemies and objects in real time, and discover new ways to find
the fastest route through each stage.
• In addition to the main Story Mode, in which players must rescue Princess Peach, New Super
Mario Bros. U features three more exciting game modes, including:
◦ Boost Rush: Using Boost Mode, two to five players work together to clear many different
courses in the fastest time possible. The scene auto scrolls, forcing you to move ahead
through the course. As you collect more coins, the scene scrolls faster. Once you’ve
completed your run, you can watch a replay of other players’ Boost Rush to help strategize
for your next attempt.
◦ Challenge Mode: Numerous single-player and multiplayer challenges incorporate a series of
familiar Super Mario gameplay concepts in a fun, competitive way. These challenges offer
high replay value as players try to achieve the best score and unlock new challenges. Boost
Mode Challenges help players practice the teamwork necessary for effective Boost Mode
gameplay. After finishing, players can watch a replay of their Challenge to strategize for next
• Play on the big screen or the small screen. Switch single-player gameplay from the TV to the
GamePad at any time to continue playing even when others are using the TV.
• Families and friends can experience Mario together like never before with Miiverse. See other
players’ comments and accomplishments while you play, and leave your own feedback for
others to see when connected to the Nintendo Network (broadband Internet access required).